Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

This is a project that I have finished recently for TP Bennett Architects.

The main brief was to try making the 3D renders look realistic and appealing.

The client had a vague idea of what they really wanted. However, they had already decided on the materials and finishes for their interior.

In the Pre-Production phase: My first task was to quickly source for real photo references of similar spaces/designs that the client had produced in the past; in addition to new photos sourced from Flickr, etc.

In finishing that, I had put together a mood board to show them my vision of the art direction.

This first submission subsequently led to few more hours of discussion with the client about their ideas, art direction, etc.

At the end we both came to a final decision about the final art direction (i.e. final collage of the art work).

Production: Having signed off this vital stage; I had begun creating shaders and applying textures, based on the photo references originally supplied by the client and sourced by me.

In completing that, the next phase was to begin adding the artificial lights. Each light created was test rendered against a white non-reflective override material. This technique was to prevent the scene from quickly becoming "scorched" with too many lights.

I had also ensured that, there was a clear definition between bright & dark areas in the scene, in order to create DEPTH.

Once satisfied, I had disabled the override material to see the results.

Once the override material was disabled, the test renders begun taking slightly longer to render. However, there were fewer test renders to be carried out at that point.

I did the final tweaks and sent some big size region renders before sending the final big renders. This technique is to closely monitor any possible artifacts, prior to submitting the final renders.

I had also saved few render elements for the post production: Object I; Depth of field (DOF), etc.

In Post Production: I had adjusted the colours and the contrast of the renders using the "Curves" layer adjustment to closely match the Renders with the photo reference originally supplied.

I had also used effects such as grain, vignetting, etc.

While I could easily apply these effects directly from Max, it was prudent to do it in post, because certain effects are under more scrutiny by the client. And it becomes more efficient to add or omit such effects in post...as opposed to re-rendering the scene.

The above described workflow allowed me to finish the project in time and within the budget...with little or no stress.

I hope you like the final result!

It was produced with Max and VRay. However, I also have the same version in mental ray.

This workflow allowed me to use a variety of different rendering engines and platforms without compromising the quality of the final results.

For more in-depth detail about this workflow, please visit my blog.






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

nice work, and excellent description :hello:

"Il vero viaggio di scoperta non consiste nel cercare nuove terre, ma nell'avere nuovi occhi" (Marcel Proust)

"Due sono le cose infinite esistenti: l'universo e la stupidità degli uomini, ma sull'universo ho ancora qualche dubbio" (Albert Einstein)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You wrote so much... and I read everything... gasp! I learnt something new, so I thank you. I saved the link to your blog, but I couldn't find the other images related to this work... sad.gif

So, the image you posted here: first, it's too grainy for me, for my taste. The grain seems to kill the details. Then, I don't like that greenish tone that makes it quite cold. With all of those green furnishings, I'd make the ambient light a bit more warm. Something else I don't really like: those floating (ies?) lights standing in the middle of the place and scorching it. Something strange happens to the bikes' screens there under. They get dematerialized. Finally, the kind of dof you used brings to the observer a strange effect. I'd have reversed it, defocusing the further zone.

That's all folks. Bye.

Edited by gianeZ

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi franci2k5 & gianeZ,

Thank you very much for your feedback here. I really appreciate it!!!

gianeZ: What missing images were you referring to?

I have also attached one of many renders I have produced recently using the same workflow described here.

Cheers again for your feedback here!!!





Edited by jamie cardoso

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...
Aspetta! x