MAKING OF FILIPPO
Hello everyone, this article will try to explain and illustrate all the processing steps for the realization of the creature Filippo!
I would like to thank first Treddi.com for the opportunity and would like to users who have appreciated my work on the forums.
The software that I've used are: Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Mudbox, Chaos Group Vray, Adobe Photoshop.
For the sculping and painting I've used a Wacom Cintiq 13HD.
I finished the project in about two days and a half, making 3 set in render 2048x2048 px resolution and some close up.
The part that concerns the concept unfortunately I have to jump ... because sometimes, as in this case, I begin to make a cube in 3ds Max and then invent along the way
As I said, I started from a simple cube, I divided into 2 parts to create symmetry and I started to split the geometry to derive the orbital fissures.
As you can see the mesh is very simple, the same way I created the inside of the mouth, small horns, tail and feet.
At this stage, I have not considered the problems of geometry, such as Ngons faces or triangles. This is because I already had in mind to do a retopology at a later stage, it helps me to not limit myself in the creativity of the character, especially when I do not have a concept 2d where to start.
I know that many artist start directly the sculpt in programs like Zbrush or Mudbox but I like to start in 3ds Max as they did at the beginning of the cg!
At this point, once "jumped" the 3D model, I brought in Mudbox (there is a very convenient function that is called in the programs Autodesk Send to creates a dynamic link between the two applications).
In Mudbox I placed a little 'model to give the design I had in mind, without going into too much detail. Then with a great tool called Retopologize introduced in the latest version, I made the retopology (let's say he did it I have not done much!.
Here you can control how many faces I want to achieve, the uniformity of the topology (I recommend some testing to get the best result) and the active axis of symmetry.
This is a good tool that I have avoided hours of work to draw a topology manually, however I will not conceal that I fixed some polygon in 3ds Max but only because I did not like a cut he had done.
This is the final result, the model now has all the polygons in their place!
The only thing missing is a UV mapping in order to start the fun part of sculpting, so I brought the character in 3ds Max
To create a good UV relaxed, I usually use an integrated tool in 3ds Max called Quick Peel along with Relax on polygons and lots of patience (I hate doing the 'Unwrap!).
Since it is not a model of a video game, I distributed the parts so that later I can find good work on the textures in Photoshop.
The whole procedure described up to here I've also used for teeth and nails
This is the model at level 0 where I started with the subdivisions for the sculpting phase.
For both the body and the teeth and nails I used 6 subdivision levels so about 4,800,000 polygons.
I used to sculpt tools Sculpt, Wax and Bulge (in order to carry out the bumps). Combined with these tools have enabled both the stamps that Stancil, I did not use special texture just a little 'alpha already present in Mudbox and other recovered on the internet.
After completing these steps are left with the painting, I made 2 textures to 4096 px, without using the projection map, just paint directly on the model.
This is the colorful character ... For the other red I simply placed the colors in Photoshop texture.
DISPLACEMENT and AO
From Mudbox I created a displacement map and ambient occlusion.
To conclude with Mudbox very basic skeleton I added to give the desired pose.
Here it is! Filippo and her baby are ready for materials, lighting and rendering. In 3ds Max I brought a model to 1,900,000 polygons, because this was not going to animate it but realize only still images.
So I went back into 3ds Max to create the scene ...
MATERIAL, LIGHT and RENDERING
How I used V-Ray rendering engine, I have not cared much the materials of the scene in general because I knew I used a shot tight enough on the characters, the backgroud thanks to the DOF would have seen little in the details.
As for Philip, I used a VRayFastSSS2 with a single depth map and a bump formed by the displacement map.
As far as the eye I used a pattern that I've used for my other character, I changed just a little 'color of the texture.
I used a HDRI map for global illumination, a panel material with a self-illumination behind the characters and the lights on the ceiling made from a VRayLightMtl with a Vray2SidedMtl that covers them.
These are the 3 final images that I made
Thanks for reading this article and I hope you enjoyed!